Sunday 14 June 2009

Again!

I learned a bit about picture books from working in bookshops. I got to know authors and illustrators that I liked (and didn't like) and started a collection. Usually funny, quirky books that appealed to me. Then I started work in a library doing storytime and I quickly learned a lot more. It's not just about the beauty of the pictures, the sparkle of the prose, the wit of the author, if the book doesn't hold their attention, you're toast. And so I changed my mind about some books and hung on to some cherished favourites.

Then I had my own child. We started reading to him while he was still inside what we called the vitamin cake factory (so good he never wanted to come out). We just read the one book, "Hooray for Fish" by Lucy Cousins. We thought this would be a good idea as I was using the illustrations to paint a mural in his room. We live in the country in the eighth year of a drought and thought it would be a good way for him to see some water. I thought he'd pop out and say, "hey this seems very familiar..ah yes the elefish, I've been waiting to meet you."
After he was born we read a selection of books to him, not just baby books with one word a page but whole stories with lots of bright colours and fantastic characters. I still remember lying on the bed with him reading and turning to look at him as he gazed at the book and back to me and back to the book and so on. I've really enjoyed all the stages as he started to interact more with the books; lifting flaps, pulling tabs and turning wheels. Not so keen on the tearing or ripping but that seems to have ceased. And now he selects books from his (large and ever increasing) collection and demands that I read them to him. Then he snuggles in beside me, ready for a story. If it doesn't grab him then he's off to select another. And just lately, if he really likes a story, we get to the end and he says, "again." And we will read it again and again and again.
Now I'm sure that someone has worked out approximately how many stories a parent will read to their child. I figure it's close to a gazillion. So it's also important that the parents enjoy the books too. Finding a book that both the parent and child agree on can be tricky and don't try and hide a book you don't like as they will know. We tried with the "Women's Weekly Kid's Birthday Cookbook" and we were rumbled. And yes I know it's not a traditional picture book but it was the one and only favourite for 3 seemingly never ending groan inducing weeks, "oh look , it's a train cake! Oh yes, a rocket! A bear! A plane! A hula girl!

Our collection is made up of our own books, but also has books that are loaned to us and books that we borrow from the library. Recently we borrowed a book from the library called "But excuse ME THAT is my book" by the very talented Lauren Child. It's one of her Charlie and Lola books and after a month (hmm...may be overdue) we still love it. So much so that I have just purchased a copy to replace the library one when we take it back first thing on Monday morning.

Lola wants to go to the library with her brother Charlie so she can borrow her favourite book, "Beetles, Bugs and Butterflies" again. Charlie tries to persuade her to borrow another book, but she is adamant because it is "the best book in the whole world" and she goes onto explain why.

"you see Charlie, the bugs are quite buggy and the butterflies are really beautiful and the beetles are...very silly".But disaster strikes when they get to the library and can't find the book. Charlie suggests all sorts of other books (encyclopedias, pop up books and books on the Romans) but Lola rejects them all. When the book is finally found, unfortunately in the clutches of another child, Lola has no choice but to find another book. Charlie suggests one that fits her criteria (not too many words, funny, lots of pictures) and Lola begrudgingly agrees to try "Cheetahs and Chimpanzees" and discovers that maybe it is the best book in the whole world.

As well as the funky illustrations and typeface, I love the way that Lauren Child captures the passion that kids can have for a particular book. Fervent and fleeting or as Lola says "there is one book that is extra specially special". And finding a replacement is not easy as kids are discerning and can't always be fobbed off with just anything. There's a lot of text (it's quite wordy but the language is fun and great for reading aloud) and while this has proved a problem in other books, Jack will sit next to me, completely engrossed to the very end and then utter that other magic word "again".

But Excuse me that is my Book by Lauren Child
Isbn: 9780141500539
Published by Penguin Books

Hooray For Fish by Lucy Cousins
Isbn: 9781406301564
Published by Walker Books




No comments:

Post a Comment